You’ve decided to redecorate your home and you have an idea of how you want it to look, but now it’s time to ask an important question; should you hire a professional interior decorator, or should you do it yourself?
Before the 20th century interior decorators and designers barely existed as we know them today. Only the super wealthy (we’re talking royalty) had other people decorate their homes (palaces) for them. Some people still think that hiring an interior decorator is only for the very rich, but you might be surprised to discover that it may be more affordable than you think.
Another thing to think about is whether you can give up control and allow someone else to make decisions regarding your home.
If you aren’t sure about where to start and what to do, collaborating with a professional might really appeal to you, but if you know what you want and are confident in your ability to make it happen, you may want to take on the task of decorating yourself. Hiring an Interior Designer vs. Interior Decorator: How to Choose Between the Two
Decorating Your Home Yourself: Pros & Cons
- You will save some money because you won’t have to pay a decorator.
- Your personal taste will be reflected in your home décor and you will be able to take full credit for it.
- If you know what you want, and how to complete the project, you will enjoy the process.
- You can do the project in stages that suit your needs both financially and time-wise.
- You don’t have to discuss your likes and dislikes with a stranger.
- If you mess up – it’s on you. And it might cost more money to fix your mistake than it took to do the project to begin with. How to Avoid Common Decorating Mistakes
- Home decorating projects can take up a lot of time. You might save a little money doing it yourself, but is it enough to make it worth all the time you will spend doing it?
- You won’t have access to a large percentage of home furnishings that are only sold in wholesale designer showrooms.
Hiring an Interior Designer/Decorator: Pros & Cons
- You will have access to a large selection of furnishings, fabrics, and wall coverings that are available only to people in the trade.
- If you have the budget to hire someone, you will end up with a unique, custom look for your home.
- While you will spend time collaborating with your designer/decorator to make decisions, the bulk of the work will be done by them; freeing up your time for other things.
- It can be expensive to work with an interior designer/decorator. You will need to do your research and determine if you have the budget for it.
- It is an intimate process. This person will spend a lot of time in your home and it may feel like an invasion of privacy at times.
The bottom line is that you need to choose the option that best suits the needs of you and your family. Either way, you will feel a sense of accomplishment when the job is done; whether from your own work or from your collaboration with your professional home designer/decorator.
Are you ready to SELL your home? Call the TAMPA BAY real estate professionals, Linda & Craig Nowicke at Tampa Realty Now with RE/MAX ACR ELITE and let them assist you in getting your home STAGED, PHOTOGRAPHED and SOLD for the highest possible price! CALL THEM TODAY at 813-728-3880 or 813-675-5030.