When confronted with the term “retirement community” many people think of nursing homes or assisted living facilities. But today’s 55+ retirement communities are nothing like the ones of the past. These age-restricted communities are built for independent living older adults who are ready to downsize and live a more maintenance-free lifestyle. Whether you have retired, been widowed, or simply find your current home too large to manage, a 55+ community may be the perfect place for you to start a new chapter in your life. Here are some perks of living in a 55+ community:
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE – If you want to maintain an active lifestyle then a 55+ community is the place for you! There are a plethora of ways to stay active with workout facilities, pools, and handicapped accessible walking trails; and fun activities such as cooking classes, shuffleboard, and organized field trips. And staying active doesn’t just mean strenuous physical activity. Being social is an important part of maintaining an active lifestyle too. Lots of these communities offer opportunities to socialize with things like book clubs, classes, bingo, charity work & service projects, coffee groups and movie nights. Staying active is so important to physical health and there are specific health benefits associated with being active and social in later years. These benefits include: reduced risk of cardiovascular problems, increased longevity, reduced risk of stroke, stronger immune system, less risk of Alzheimer’s disease, lower blood pressure and better overall mental health. 10 Most Popular Activities in 55+ Communities
- SENSE OF COMMUNITY – We’re using that word a lot, but community is what it’s all about! The sense of community felt among residents of a 55+ neighborhood is one of the main differences in living there versus a typical residential neighborhood. This can have a huge impact on a person’s sense of well-being and quality of life. Neighbors in these communities are in the same stage of life and often share similar desires and goals. They become a kind of “family” who look out for each other and take care of each other in times of need.
- MAINTENANCE FREE LIVING – Many 55+ communities offer maintenance-free living. What does that mean? Well, it can vary, but it usually includes all exterior building maintenance including streets, sidewalks, roofs and driveways. In addition, staff will typically: take care of weeds, fertilize lawns, blow clippings off sidewalks and driveways, spread mulch, edge the lawn along walkways and driveways, change hard to reach light bulbs, and make interior repairs on major appliances and exterior repairs to roofing, downspouts and more.
- RETIREMENT LIVING BEFORE YOU RETIRE – You do not have to retire from your job to live in a 55+ community. They are often referred to as “retirement” communities, but in truth the only restrictions for residents are age and income. You can keep your job and still enjoy the benefits that will allow you so much more free time for fun and travel.
- FEELING SAFE & SECURE – Many 55+ communities are gated and only allow residents and their guests to be admitted onto the property. Some will also have security staff on-site for residents’ protection. Security may also include: lighted parking lots, sidewalks, streets, and common areas, working fire alarms and smoke detectors, emergency evacuation maps posted, and clearly marked exit doors.
- DOWNSIZING BECAUSE YOU WANT TO, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO – Downsizing on your own terms is so much better than the stress that comes with having to move due to an illness or injury. Moving while still healthy and active is an easier process and allows you to take your time and make thoughtful choices. Selling your home is also less emotional and overwhelming when it is your choice and not something you are being forced to do. Choosing to move into a 55+ community while you are still healthy and active allows you to be in control of your own future and how you want to spend your time and money.
If you are 55+ and live in the Tampa Bay area and you are considering downsizing, contact us for more information on the brand new Del Webb community. We have the latest information on the floor plans and the Builders incentives. Coming soon to Land O’ Lakes, this gated, 55+ community will have homes starting from the mid $200s. It will offer 850 single-family homes over 489 acres. A multi-million-dollar clubhouse will be the highlight, with its large social room, fitness area, resort-style pool and recreational activities planned by a full-time lifestyle director!
Contact the TAMPA BAY real estate professionals Linda & Craig Nowicke at Tampa Realty Now for more information on the BRAND NEW Del Webb community. We have the latest information on the floor plans and the Builders incentives. CALL THEM TODAY at 813-728-3880 or 813-675-5030.